Here's a noncomprehensive list of current features confirmed and experienced in Minecraft 1.8. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comment section below.
- Biomes are MUCH larger and more uniform than before.
- Swamp Biomes were added to the list of existing biomes - look for vines on trees!
- Vines can be collected with shears, in the manner of leaf blocks. Vines will grow on any surface they are placed on.
- Beef, Lamb and Chicken were added.
- Strongholds, which spawn once per world.
- Ruins, which are basically strongholds on the ground.
- Giant mushrooms, though they do not generate yet.
- Creative mode, which allows flying, insta-break, unlimited items from an item palette, no damage, and more.
- Abandoned mineshafts
- Endermen- normally passive, these night-spawning mobs will teleport to (and attack) you if you look directly at them. When defeated, they can drop Ender Pearls, which presently do nothing.
- Bow charging causes ariable damage with charge, can also land critical hits. Additionally, attacks can crit if you hit a player or mob when descending from a jump.
- Sprinting allows you to run faster, and knock mobs back that are hit during a sprint- though it also appears to deplete the hunger bar faster.
- New, higher quality Main Menu
- Chest animation in which the lid opens and closes.
- Player list on SMP, as well as Server listings.
- Setting gamemode on SMP as follows: "/gamemode username 0/1", 1 being Creative and 0 being Survival.
- Hunger depletes slowly over time, which can be filled by eating food. At 9 more more bars, you will regenerate health slowly.
- XP BAR
- Eating animation
- Arrows stick to mobs.
- New lighting engine, including colored lights and smoother lighting.
- Clouds are now at the ceiling of the world.
- Cave spiders
- Zombies drop rotten flesh, which can be consumed.
- Rivers and Ravines
- Watermelons, as well as watermelon and pumpkin seeds.
- Glass panes can be crafted at a crafting table by making a 3x2 grid of Glass Blocks, which makes 16 panes. These panes can be placed in lines, corners and crosses, and they will adjoin with the nearest adjacent block.
- Iron Bars can be created by making a 3x2 grid of iron ingots at a crafting table. These can be placed in the same manner as glass panes.
- Brick, Stone Brick stairs
- Smooth Stone Brick can be crafted by placing Stone in a 2x2 grid, which makes 4 Stone Bricks.
- F6 & F7 keys will adjust the time of day when pressed/held.
Lastly, a more comprehensive overview by the YogsCast:
New features and discoveries will be added as they are found. Stay tuned or post your own to the corkboard!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades