Here's a noncomprehensive list of current features confirmed and experienced in Minecraft 1.8. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comment section below.
- Biomes are MUCH larger and more uniform than before.
- Swamp Biomes were added to the list of existing biomes - look for vines on trees!
- Vines can be collected with shears, in the manner of leaf blocks. Vines will grow on any surface they are placed on.
- Beef, Lamb and Chicken were added.
- Strongholds, which spawn once per world.
- Ruins, which are basically strongholds on the ground.
- Giant mushrooms, though they do not generate yet.
- Creative mode, which allows flying, insta-break, unlimited items from an item palette, no damage, and more.
- Abandoned mineshafts
- Endermen- normally passive, these night-spawning mobs will teleport to (and attack) you if you look directly at them. When defeated, they can drop Ender Pearls, which presently do nothing.
- Bow charging causes ariable damage with charge, can also land critical hits. Additionally, attacks can crit if you hit a player or mob when descending from a jump.
- Sprinting allows you to run faster, and knock mobs back that are hit during a sprint- though it also appears to deplete the hunger bar faster.
- New, higher quality Main Menu
- Chest animation in which the lid opens and closes.
- Player list on SMP, as well as Server listings.
- Setting gamemode on SMP as follows: "/gamemode username 0/1", 1 being Creative and 0 being Survival.
- Hunger depletes slowly over time, which can be filled by eating food. At 9 more more bars, you will regenerate health slowly.
- XP BAR
- Eating animation
- Arrows stick to mobs.
- New lighting engine, including colored lights and smoother lighting.
- Clouds are now at the ceiling of the world.
- Cave spiders
- Zombies drop rotten flesh, which can be consumed.
- Rivers and Ravines
- Watermelons, as well as watermelon and pumpkin seeds.
- Glass panes can be crafted at a crafting table by making a 3x2 grid of Glass Blocks, which makes 16 panes. These panes can be placed in lines, corners and crosses, and they will adjoin with the nearest adjacent block.
- Iron Bars can be created by making a 3x2 grid of iron ingots at a crafting table. These can be placed in the same manner as glass panes.
- Brick, Stone Brick stairs
- Smooth Stone Brick can be crafted by placing Stone in a 2x2 grid, which makes 4 Stone Bricks.
- F6 & F7 keys will adjust the time of day when pressed/held.
Lastly, a more comprehensive overview by the YogsCast:
New features and discoveries will be added as they are found. Stay tuned or post your own to the corkboard!
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.