Minecraft Pre-Release 1.9 Version 6 is out! This update includes more bug fixes from Version 5 and Ender Dragons! We'll be reporting more changes as we find them, so stay tuned.
Download the update by clicking here. Save the file in a folder somewhere with easy access, like your desktop.
- The quickest way to open your .minecraft folder is to open your start menu and in the search bar type, "run". Your computer's Run program should appear. When it does, open it and type "%appdata%" in the "Open Tab" and click "OK". Your appdata/roaming file should be open before you.
- Open the .minecraft folder, and then open your bin folder.
- Inside your bin folder you will see a file named "minecraft". Right-click on the file and hit "rename". Now this is your old minecraft.jar file, so be sure to name it something you'll remember like "minecraft-old" or "minecraft2".
- Finally, drag and drop the 1.9 Version 6 file you downloaded into your bin folder. Be sure that it is named "minecraft" exactly, not "minecraf.jar" or anything else.
You're done! Now you can open Minecraft and play 1.9 Version 6. If and when you decide to play your old version of Minecraft, which you will need for any servers that are not currently 1.9 Version 6, just rename your current minecraft.jar something like, "minecraft1.9.6". Rename your OLD jar file "minecraft", and you will be able to play the old version again.
Here are some tips if you're having trouble:
- If you are having trouble finding your .minecraft folder, here is an alternative method:
- Run Minecraft like you're going to play it, and select "Mods and Texture Packs".
- You will see a list of your current installed texture packs and below, a button that says "Open Texture Pack Folder". Select this.
- When the link opens, you will be in your .minecraft/texturepacks folder. From there you can navigate to your bin folder by clicking .minecraft in the navigation bar above. It should say something like User>Appdata>Roaming>.minecraft>texturepacks. Select .minecraft.
- Now that you are in your .minecraft folder, open your bin folder. In it you will find your "minecraft" file.
- Remember you are NOT opening this Minecraft file. You are only placing it in your bin folder and renaming it "Minecraft" (without the quotations).
- If you cannot see or access your .minecraft FOLDER try this:
- Open your start menu and select "Control Panel".
- There should be a search feature in the upper right hand corner. In it, type "Hidden files" and press enter. A file named "Folder Options: Show Hidden Files and Folders" should appear.
- Click on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and a menu will appear. In the menu there will be a prompt that says, "Hidden Files: Don't Show / Show". Select the "Show" button and click "Apply". I've included a picture of the selection below.
If you are getting a frozen screen that says, "updating Minecraft" while trying to launch the game or any other errors in which it seems that the game will not launch or run this Pre-Release, try this:
- Move your save and texturepack files to another folder.
- Delete your .minecraft folder entirely.
- Open and run Minecraft and let it download all its files.
- Close Minecraft.
- Re-add your saves and texturepack folders to your .minecraft folder. When asked to overwrite, select "yes" or "ok".
- Now try the installation process over again. Be sure to follow the steps carefully.
Please be patient if this does not work the first time. If you have any further questions, leave a comment below or PM me for help.
Re-visit this post for more discovered content on the 1.9 Version 6 Pre-Release!
Follow us on Twitter @MinecraftHowTo
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades