I spent the entire day yesterday wandering through and getting incredibly lost in last week's maze creations for the Weekly Challenge. The crafted labyrinths were beyond genius. I was absolutely blown away! But before we show you the winning mazes, let's go over this week's challenge on transforming houses...
Does the thought of using redstone to create a transforming house petrify you? Don't let it!
If you're not very familiar with redstone and its applications, it could seem complex. Foreign even. But for this week's transforming houses challenge, I'd like to see what you guys and gals can do with redstone. Now, you do not have to be an advanced redstone user to win this contest, as that just wouldn't be fair. You can keep it simple, by just adding a few moving pieces of furniture with pistons and deck your home out in other ways.
The judging for this contest is going to be a little different than it has been in the past. You can earn points for the redstone techniques used, as well as creativity and design. If you feel your house will lack the necessary redstone it might take to win the challenge, then go all out in your design—and be creative!
Previous tutorials to help with design techniques:
- Inset Flooring - Inset flooring can be very useful when hiding Minecraft furniture to go with your transforming house.
- Furniture - Furniture, of course, will be a top priority when furnishing your build.
- Flooring Techniques - Flooring can play a big part in this challenge, as the right floor design can perfectly mask couches, chairs and other furniture pieces.
- Stair Tactics - Stairs play a huge part in furniture design, so be sure to check out this quick tutorial to gain inspiration!
The designated building area is over at /warp challenge7, so be sure to head over there when you're up to speed on this challenge! If you need a little inspiration for this challenge, check out the video below of a transforming house.
Though these Weekly Challenges are not required, they were created in order to help our builders on the server get out of any artistic blocks. We want these Weekly Challenges to inspire you to create something magnificent! We also want you to post your tips and tricks, as well as your build! You can do so by clicking HERE and posting to the community corkboard.
The idea behind the Weekly Challenge is to share your quick tips and tricks related to the topic at hand with the community. Every week is something different, so be sure to check the Blog every Monday!
- Submissions should be created in the designated area in the server. Use /warp Challenge7 to be taken to the area.
- Admins will extend the Stone border at /warp Challenge7 if you need more room.
- If you build your creation outside of the Stone border, ask an Admin to copy/paste it into the appropriate area.
- Be sure to put a sign in the front of your creation telling who helped you with the project, what it is, etc. The more information we have, the better!
- In order for your entry to count, it MUST be something you created on the WonderHowTo server.
- Do not claim a build as your own if you did not create it—we will know!
- If you worked with someone on a project, please mention their name as well and what they contributed.
- Post your tutorial, progress, creation and/or tips to the community corkboard in order to be considered for each week's contest.
- You cannot submit the same creation more than once to the corkboard.
- For all Weekly Challenges, you cannot use a previous entry you've already submitted in the past.
- You CAN enter BOTH the Weekly Challenge and the Weekly Staff Choice Awards in the same week.
- Winners will be announced next Monday at around 12 PM PST (3 PM EST)!
- 1 Grand Prize winner - Contributor rank in game + DisguiseCraft: Your choice (you can pick any available creature)!
- Honorable Mentions - Contributor rank in game!
* Contributor rank in game allows you to change your gamemode (survival/creative), put yourself in godmode (/god), set 20 homes, claim 50 (16x16) plots and wear hats with /hat!
* DisguiseCraft is the exact same thing as Mob Disguise, but since Mob Disguise wasn't updated for 1.2.3, we are using this new amazing plugin. Not only does it have the option of colored sheep, but also baby animals/mobs! DisguiseCraft allows you to turn into a mob in Minecraft.
Without further ado... the winners of last week's maze challenge!
- Winner of Contributor rank in game + MobDisguise: Iron Golem (/md irongolem)
TehGeekFather created a "Maze of Rage." And the maze definitely lives up to its title! I spent forever wandering through the maze by myself, getting completely lost. I had to wait for DucksTheName and Unbeatabl3 to get online so that they could help me record a video. If I recorded a video of just me trying to go through it, it'd probably be a couple hours long and I'd still be stuck at the beginning.
TehGeekFather's maze is cleverly created, and the idea behind it is spectacular. As you go through the maze, you collect items that help you unlock the final area. When you're going through, you trigger pressure plates and buttons that help you get one step closer to the finish line.
You definitely need to check this maze out for yourself; it's located at /warp challenge6 if you decide to!
Video will be up shortly, sorry for the delay!
- Winners of Contributor rank in game
Jimmywang77 created a clever redstone activated maze. As you walk through the entrance, the pressure plates trigger the maze and the fun begins! He allows you to place redstone so that you don't get completely lost, which is awesome, because I would have been in trouble!
Silverbug12 created a themed maze titled "Monster Under the Bed." Not only did she have a great theme that was decorated gorgeously, but the maze itself was so much fun. And to top it off... if you complete the maze, you get cake!
The furniture is completely realistic, and makes you feel like you're a dust bunny making your way through a complex maze hidden under someone's bed.
- Will you be participating in this week's challenge?
- Do you have any ideas yet as to what you will be creating?
- Are you looking for a few more helping hands for a project that seems like it might be too much to handle?
- Do you have a suggestion for next week's challenge?
Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
Don't forget, use /warp Challenge7 to be taken to the designated area to create your weekly challenge build!
Follow us on Twitter @MinecraftHowTo!